Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Never Too Many Chances to Wear a 3-Piece Suit.

Huzzah! Another chance to dust off my moth eaten 3-piece pinstripe suit and pork-pie hat; this past weekend there was a Victorian/20's-40's era "ThreePenny Opera" party at a beautiful Victorian mansion in Brooklyn called the Montauk Club. The idea was to dress either in the style of Bertold Brecht's ThreePenny Opera, 1880-1900, or in the style of the era in which the play was written, the 1930's.

The venue itself was beautiful, a lovingly restored and maintained mansion just by Grand Army Plaza, but the crowd was fantastic. The guests had gone all out - gorgeous Victorian-era gowns, women in vintage flapper attire and avant-guard latex-gothic hybrids were all on display, and gentlemen in long coats, tuxedos and three piece suits were enjoying the conversation-friendly atmosphere as a 6-piece jazz band, Grandpa Musselman and his Syncopaters, played a wonderful assortment of period music, from the Charleston to waltzes.

I simply donned my getup from the film noir derbytaunte party I attended several weeks ago and headed on out to join my friends, who were similarly decked out in 30's clothing. Thanks to Dances of Vice who put on the event. Their next soirée is in August (so far!) and if I'm not in Mexico, I'll definitely be going.

(Me and some dame...)

No comments: